1. Determine Whether Children are Present & Include in Report
- Age (DOB)
- Relationship to parties
- School/Child Care Agency
- Present during incident?
- Physically harmed?
2. Health and Safety Checks on Children
- Visual observation
- Asking the child
- Determine if treatment is necessary
- Mandated reporting to CPS/DCF
3. Complete HWC Form
- Date & Time
- Officer’s Name
- Children’s School/Day Care Facility
- Email form to email address on form
Tips When Dealing with a Child at a Scene
- Talk with children about the incident if their age permits
- Get eye level with the child
- Ask non-leading questions. “What happened next, what did you see, hear, and do?”
- Avoid interviewing witnesses in the presence of children
- Avoid subduing or arresting someone in the presence of children.
- Do let the child know it was not their fault, that they did nothing wrong, and that you are sorry they had to see or hear the incident.
- Don’t make promises you can’t keep